Gal. 4:14

From: Edgar Foster (questioning1@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 11 1998 - 22:40:11 EDT

Dear B-Greekers,

It appears to me that there are at least three possible meanings of
the clause hWS AGGELON QEOU . . . hWS XRISTON IHSOUN.

(1) XRISTON IHSOUN is in apposition to AGGELON QEOU.

(2) hWS XRISTON IHSOUN intensifies hWS AGGELON QEOU.

(3) hWS XRISTON IHSOUN builds upon hWS AGGELON QEOU.

Personally, I tend to opt for (1) or (2). In part, this decision is
based on a similar passage in Zech. 12:8:

"he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as [HAYAH] David;
and the house of David shall be as God [ELOHIM'], as the angel [MALAK]
of the Lord before them."

In Zech. 12:8, the prophet stresses the power that the feeble of
Jerusalem will possess. God's spokesman describes this in three
powerful ways: "David, God, Angel of the Lord." All three of these
terms delineate the same reality. David, God, and the angel of the
Lord are juxtapositioned with one another. The verse intensifies, then
concludes on an weakened epexegetical note. The house of David will be
like ELOHIM, in the sense of being powerful. They will enjoy energy
comparable to the MALAK of YHWH. The Interpreter's Bible says that
MALAK is used by Zechariah to dilute the comparison made. This agrees
with the fact that Yahweh's angel is shown elsewhere in the book of
Zechariah, to be distinct from Yahweh _in se_ (Zech. 1:12, 13).

I think Zech. 12:8 may therefore offer insight on Gal. 4:14.

Sincerely,

Edgar Foster

Classics Major