Re: Gal. 3:28

From: Phillip J. Long (plong@gbcol.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 14 1998 - 08:54:55 EDT

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 17:56:44 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Is there any significance in the clause OUK ENI ARSEN KAI QHLU (Gal.
>3:28)? Does this clause differ markedly in meaning from the two
>previous couplets in 3:28?

I would not think so, I thought that the reason he shifted from OUDE
to KAI was the influence of Gen 1:27 (which connects male and female
with KAI.) I wonder why he chose those two words for male and female
(as opposed to anqropos kai gunh, etc.) I have read that some take
this as an allusion to a common saying among Jewish men, "I thank God
that I was not born a Gentile, Slave or Woman." (That's off the top
of my head, I don't have a source handy!"

Maybe the two words are so commonly associated that it is difficult to
use OUDE with this pair. The LXX has 10x in Genesis of the pair,
always in that order and connecte with KAI.

In Bruce's Gk Text Commentary from Eerdmans he states that there is a
slight change in form without change in meaning.

Phillip J. Long
Asst. Prof. Bible & Greek
Grace Bible College