Re: Gal. 3:28

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Fri Aug 14 1998 - 14:04:21 EDT

>Is there any significance in the clause OUK ENI ARSEN KAI QHLU
(Gal. 3:28)? Does this clause differ markedly in meaning from the two
previous couplets in 3:28?< <

{Bill Ross}
* Due to the ambiguity in Koine of ANER and GUNH, Paul has deftly avoided
ambiguity. Had he used ANER and GUNH (or however you spell those roots) we
on the list would be arguing if he meant "men and women" or "husbands and
wives";

* I personally always assume that if a usage changes it is for a reason; [by
the way, I could have used personally as a sentence adverb, emphasizing the
word and qualifying the action: i.e.: Personally, I always...];

* Commenting on the popular book of the day "Men Are From Paul, Women Are
>From Apollos", Paul declares "Men Are From The Lord, Women Are From The
Lord, Deal With It!"

* Perhaps, Paul chose "male AND female" to say that, unlike the designation
Greek or slave, the genders and the people of those genders are still
present, but not their antagonism or apposition to one another?

Yes, you may hit the delete button now :)