Re: Mt 12:6

From: Lena Lybūk (lybaekl@online.no)
Date: Thu Aug 13 1998 - 06:38:47 EDT

Dear listmembers,

I am new to the list, and prefer to remain in the background to read and
learn. I would, however, very much like your response to the following:

Mt 12: 6 reads in NA: LEGW DE hUMIN hOTI TOU hIEROU MEIZON ESTIN hWDE

My question is: what does MEIZON actually refer to. I have, even in print,
supported R. Gundry, in reading it christologically. He states "The neuter
gender of MEIZON stresses the quality of superior greatness [ie. of Jesus]
rather than Jesus' personal identity." (Gundry, Matthew, Grand Rapids, 1982)
U. Luz however (EKK 1) reads the adjective in correspondence with ELEOS in
the next sentence.
I have understood the use of MEIZON in Mt 12:6, to be related to the use of
PLEION in Mt 12: 41, 42 (KAI IDOU PLEION IWNA/SOLOMWNOS hWDE) and the
comparison definately is made between two male figures and that something
which is greater, but still using a neuter form. The neuter makes Luz
sceptical to a christological interpretation here as well.

Could perhaps someone explain the use of the neuter to me on these two
occasions.

(And even better: how does it relate to the masculine form MEIZWN in Mt
11:11 in the comparative sentence with John the Baptist: OUK EGHGERTAI EN
GENNHTOIS GUNAIKWN MEIZWN IWANNOU TOU BAPTISTOU).

Hope the question is not too elementary.

Peace,

Lena Lybaek (lybaekl@online.no)