Re: Women in the Church

From: Jeffrey L. Shelton (jeffreys@mozcom.com)
Date: Tue Aug 11 1998 - 11:55:00 EDT

Greetings all:
see various comments marked with #### below:

>At 22:45 98/08/07 -0400, Theodore H. Mann wrote:
>>Greetings all:
>>
>>I have an off-list question I hope someone can answer for me.
>>
>>In 1 Cor.14:34ff, women are forbidden to speak in the churches. However,
>>1 Cor. 11:5, it indicates that women prophesy. I assume this prophecy
>>occurs in a social setting of some kind. What is the solution to this
>>apparent contradiction? ( I'm sure there is really no contradiction at
>>all. )
>

>Ted,
>
>Let me venture a comment or two which involves the question of Greek usage,
>and therefore legitimately can be given on-list.
>
>In 1 Cor 14:34-35 what Paul forbids is for women to LALEW in church. If
>Paul were intending (as he is most frequently taken to be intending) to be
>forbidding women to communicate information, by way of teaching or
>preaching or similar, he had available to him in Greek (and he uses
>elsewhere) a vocabulary of about a dozen suitable words, from specific
>words such as DIDASKW, KHRUSSW, PROFHTEUW, through the range of ANGELLW
>words and compunds, to FASKW, FHMI, EIPEIN, and simply LEGW. All of these
>words have in common that they refer, specifically or generally, in one way
>or another, to the concept of conveying information. Paul did not use any
>of them when referring to what women are not to do in church.

#### In 1 Tim 2:12 Paul does in fact use DIDASKW to speak of what women are
not to do.

>There is another word in Greek which refers to the fact or act of speaking
>without necessary reference to the content of what was said. This word is
>LALEW. This verb simply involves verbal utterance - it is what "the mouth
>speaks" (Mt 12:34), the act of uttering words. Thus whenever the NT refers
>to a person who has been dumb as now being able to speak, the word used is
>always LALEW (Mt 9:33; 12:22; 15:31; Mk 7:37; Lk 11:14). What that person
>says is irrelevant, of course: what matters is the fact that he speaks at
all.

#### Does the fact that he used the generic LALEW not in fact mean, as you
have pointed out, that they are not to speak at all, no matter what the
purpose of the speech may be? In addition to this I might add that in Acts
5:20 LALEW is used in connection with speaking the word of life. In Acts
11:15 concerning Peter speaking to Cornelius "words by which he might be
saved" it is said that "as he began to LALEW [those words]" In Acts 4:29:
LALEW is likewise used in Peter's prayer that he be able to LALEW the
[Lord's] word.

#### Your fellow servant
Jeffrey L. Shelton
President, Cebu Bible College