Re: Women in the Church

From: CEP7@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 19 1998 - 14:03:06 EDT

In a message dated 8/18/1998 5:54:25 PM, dixonps@juno.com writes:

<<In summary, there is a conflict between 1 Cor 11:5 and 1 Cor 14:34-45,
>>only if one assumes the negation of 1 Cor 11:5. As you well know,
>>the negation of a conditional is not a valid inference. "If A, then
>>B" does not imply "if not A, then not B." 1 Cor 11:5 says, "she who
>>prays or prophesies with her head uncovered shames her head."
>>This does not imply, as most usually erroneously infer, the negation:
>>she who prays or prophesies with her head covered does not shame her
>>head.>>

In a message dated 8/18/1998 5:54:25 PM, dixonps@juno.com writes:

<<In summary, there is a conflict between 1 Cor 11:5 and 1 Cor 14:34-45,
>>only if one assumes the negation of 1 Cor 11:5. As you well know,
>>the negation of a conditional is not a valid inference. "If A, then
>>B" does not imply "if not A, then not B." 1 Cor 11:5 says, "she who
>>prays or prophesies with her head uncovered shames her head."
>>This does not imply, as most usually erroneously infer, the negation:
>>she who prays or prophesies with her head covered does not shame her
>>head.>>

Recent literature on inferences has challenged the invalidity of assuming the
 negative. In certain contexts a conditional is presented partially for the
 purpose of inviting the negation. The examples from 1 Cor 7 and 15 and not
 parallel to 1 Cor 11:5 because the contexts deny the negations. First Cor 11:5
 seems to invite it.

A parallel example would be: "If you mow the lawn, I'll pay you $5.00."
 invites the inference "if you don't mow the lawn, I won't pay you $5.00." Now
 the speaker could pay the addressee for another reason but the context of the
 speech at limits it to this circumstance,i.e., the only job under
 consideration is mowing the lawn. I think both 1 Cor 11:5 and Matt 19:9 invite
 the negations. On invited inferences see Geis, Michael L., and Arnold M.
 Zwicky. ãOn Invited Inferences.ä Linguistic Inquiry 2 (1971): 561-66;
 Heringer, James Tromp. Some Grammatical Correlates of Felicity Conditions and
 Presuppositions. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Linguistics Club, 1976.

Charles Powell
DTS