Re: Greek Indirect Objects

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Fri Aug 21 1998 - 12:32:45 EDT

Michael Palmer wrote;
(omission)
>Second, do you know of any indirect objects which do bear the role GOAL or
>RECIPIENT, but are assigned a case other than dative? Of course there are
>verbs which use a double accusative (like DIDASKW: Mark 4:2, for example)
>where one of the accusative case items seems to parallel the function of an
>indirect object, but are there others, but I'm not convinced it had that
>function in Greek.

The only egs. I can think of here is the use of PROS + accusative. Compare
EIPAN AUTWi in Jn 1.25 and LEGEI hH MHTHR TOU IHSOU PROS AUTON. I can see
no difference in function between them. I will have to run some searches to
deal with the other questions, but I do not see anything to be gained in
teaching new students by eliminating the category of dative used as
indirect object.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College