Re: The word alone in Romans 3:28

From: David Haeuser (haeuser@mail.cosapidata.com.pe)
Date: Mon Aug 24 1998 - 17:02:32 EDT

Dear B-Greek members,

The place where Luther deals extensively with the justification for his
translation "by faith alone" is his Sendbrief von Dolmetschen, or Open
Letter on Translation. It's worth reading as a major contribution on the
theory of translation. In this little treatise he argues for taking the
ideas of the original, and expressing them in the natural speech of the
target audience. He anticipates many of the discussions which take place on
this list from time to time about literal and dynamic equivalent
translation. He argues that though the word "alone" is not in Greek or
Latin, it is necessary to speak good German, that in German when one thing
is denied, one must say "allein" in the contrast. "When translating", he
says, "you must not ask how the Latin literally expresses it, to find out
how to say it in German, but you must ask the mother in the home, the
children in the street, the common man in the marketplace how they say it,
and translate it that way, then they will understand and recognize that you
want to speak German with them."

David Haeuser
MSELP
Lima, Peru