Re: 1 Thessalonians 3:2

From: Rev. Timothy A. Prince (tprince@northernnet.com)
Date: Tue Aug 25 1998 - 00:13:03 EDT

I found at least two other times when Paul refers to someone as SYNERGON,
both using genitives to show who the person is working along with (the verb
requires you to specify who is being worked with by the genitive case.) He
uses it in Romans 16:9: OYRBANON TON SYNERGON hHMWN. Also in Philippians
2:25: EPAFRODITON TON ADELFON KAI SYNERGON KAI SYNSTRATIWTHN MOY.

So to answer your question, it would be accurate to translate I Thess. 3:2
with "...Timothy, our brother and God's coworker." I think in this case,
the use of the genitive goes with the verb as opposed to being a special
function of the genitive case.

Tim Prince