Re: Mark 6:31 DEUTE hUMEIS AUTOI

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 30 1998 - 18:38:53 EDT

At 4:27 PM -0500 8/30/98, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>At 4:07 AM -0500 8/30/98, Jim West wrote:
>>At 08:34 AM 8/30/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>>This must be obvious, but I'm just not getting it. In Mark 6:31, I don't
>>>see the function of AUTOI:
>>>
>>>Mark 6:31 DEUTE hUMEIS *AUTOI* KAT' IDIAN EIS ERHMON TOPON KAI ANAPAUSASQE
>>>OLIGON
>
>>Autoi intensifies humeis- you yourselves give.... cause this is a desert
>>place and the folka re coming and going and I dont want 'em to ....
>>
>>The use of autos as an intensifier of the pronouns is fairly common, if I
>>recall...
>
>My problem here is simply that the intensifier doesn't make sense to me in
>this context. The apostles come to Jesus and tell him all that they have
>done and all that they have taught, then Jesus says "you *yourselves* come
>alone into the desert place and rest a little"? I've been trying to read
>this as an intensifier, and I don't see what it means in this context. What
>would be the difference in meaning between these two phrases:
>
>DEUTE hUMEIS *AUTOI* KAT' IDIAN EIS ERHMON TOPON
>DEUTE hUMEIS KAT' IDIAN EIS ERHMON TOPON
>
>The second makes sense to me, the first still doesn't - they should come
>themselves? One translation I've looked at seems to treat AUTOI KAT' IDIAN
>as a phrase meaning "by yourselves" - is this reasonable? Or is there some
>simple way to understand AUTOI as an intensifier here that is just eluding
>my weary synapses?

I think that the point of this is "just you"--not the crowds along with
them; the invitation is to a private rendez-vous of Jesus and the
disciples; of course, it doesn't turn out that way. But Mark's narrative
indicates that this is the intent. I believe this is part of Mark's
recurrent theme of the OCLOS, which, though we translate it as "crowd,"
literally means "pressure." The pressure is something that Jesus, once he
initially develops his reputation, cannot escape, and ultimately it will
crush him, at least temporarily. I'd say also that this is a Marcan theme:
the relentless pressure of the crowds about him from the very beginning are
anticipatory of that final crowd before Pilate.