Re: George Lamsa

From: Jack Kilmon (jkilmon@historian.net)
Date: Fri Sep 04 1998 - 18:37:27 EDT

Jonathan Robie wrote:

> At 02:13 PM 9/4/98 -0700, Jack Kilmon wrote:
>
> >Lamsa's work can give anyone a good "primer" on Aramaic.
> >Lamsa's native language is Aramaic and his "New Testament
> >according to the Aramaic" is based on the Peshitta.
>
> What exactly is Lamsa's native language? And when was the Syriac Peshitta
> written?

You can find some material on Lamsa at http://www.aramaic.org/lamsa.html

The Peshitta is a translation of the NT to Aramaic/Syriac that follows
the Byzantine text type except for Luke/Acts which appears, to me, to
be closer to the Western. There are different viewpoints on the date
of the Peshitta ranging from 150-400 CE.
  The Peshitto in our days is found in use amongst the Nestorians, who have
always kept it, by the Monophysites on the plains of Syria, the Christians of
St.Thomas in
Malabar, and by the Maronites on the mountain terraces of Lebanon.
The Old Syriac Texts and Tatian's Diatessaron are considered the
earliest.

Jack