RE: (Fwd) Noesis: Philosophical Research On-Line

From: Lemuel G. Abarte (lemuel@bcd.weblinq.com)
Date: Fri Sep 04 1998 - 20:13:39 EDT

Carl,

Thanks. I run a search on Gnosticism and it is very interesting. It looks like the spread of this philosophy went all the way to China.

In my 8 years of stay in Thailand, I happened to read some Buddhist handbooks and there is a very strong Gnostic principle underlying Buddhism as a philosophy and religion. I was aware that there is since I happened to read about Gnostic teaching in NT Survey by Tenney when I was a Sunday School Teacher. There is another book, The New Testament and Its Environment (sorry, I forgot the author), I borrowed from an ATS student in Manila that discussed this philosophy. He introduced me to Gordon Fee at that time.

Perhaps the strong influence of Gnosticism to Christianity should not be discounted. I think Paul was trying to correct this in 1 Corinthians 7:1 MH hAPTESQAI. "Do not touch" seem to echo a Gnostic principle.

Regards.

Lemuel