Re: Phil. 4:13-Who TWi ENDUNAMOUNTI ME

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Fri Sep 04 1998 - 19:35:08 EDT

At 08:22 PM 9/4/98 -0700, you wrote:

>My question is concerning Phil. 4:13:
>
>PANTA ISXUW EN TWi ENDUNAMOUNTI ME
>
>I wonder who the One empowering Paul is. Is there a grammatical way to
>prove who the referent i, in Phil. 4:13? In the past, I've concluded
>that it was God the Father. But I wonder what others think.

I take the antecedent to the participle here to be found in v. 10- kuriw.
I.e., the Lord is the one who "strengthens" Paul..., etc.

>There is also a textual issue here, regarding whether XRISTWi rightly
>belongs in this passage. Textual issues aside, can a definite referent
>be pinned down grammatically?

I think so- v. 10 seems the "governing" concept to which the participles and
pronouns of vv 10ff refer. And you are right- there is great uncertainty
concerning the inclusion of xristo in v. 13. It is only the second hand of
Sin., Beza, and the late and western/byzantine texts which include it while
the very impressive original Sin., Alexandrinus, Vaticanus, Beza
(originally), and 33. Such an array of witnesses and text types makes it
virtually certain that xristw is an addition. After all, as Westcott taught
us, when Vaticanus and Alexandrinus agree- the reading is almost certainly
to be preferred.

>Regards,
>
>Edgar Foster

Best,