Resources

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Mon Sep 07 1998 - 13:52:14 EDT

I want to call attention to two resources that some may find useful:

1. Peder Borgen, KŒre Fuglseth, and Roald Skarsten, THE PHILO INDEX: A
COMPLETE GREEK WORD INDEX TO THE WRITINGS OF PHILO OF ALEXANDRIA LEMMATIZED
& COMPUTER GENERATED. UniTRel Studieserie nr. 25. Trondheim: Department of
Religious Studies, Faculty of Arts, University of Trondheim (NTNU), N-7055
Dragvoll, Norway, 1997. An index, not a concordance, it is more compklete
than the INDEX PHILONEUS of G. Mayer, based on the Cohn-Wendland, the LCL
edition, and the Quaestiones Fragments in Petit's French edition. In Din A
format, it is 339 pages, Paper. ISBN 82-7546-026-3

Of course, you will need the complete works of Philo to benefit from this.
Most easily available edition is the LCL. 30 or so years ago I was still
able to buy the editio minor of the Cohn-Wendland edition, but I suspect it
is now out of print--though the editio maior is still in print--for a very
high price.

2. Pierre Swiggers and Alfons Wouters. DE TEKHNE GRAMMATICKE VAN DIONYSIUS
THRAX: DE OUDSTE SPRAAKKUNST IN HET WESTEN. Orbis Linguarum 2. Louvain:
Peeters, 1998. Flemish introduction, Greek text, Flemish and German
translations, extensive notes in Flemish, large bibliography. Peeters has
announced an English edition for 1999, if my memory serves well. ISBN
90-6831-992-2.

Both of these should be in every university and seminary library.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Edgar Krentz
Professor Emeritus of New Testament
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 East 55th Street