Re: Hebrew and LXX questions

From: Steve Long (steve@allegrographics.com)
Date: Tue Sep 08 1998 - 04:43:53 EDT

>Also, for anyone who knows about Gramcord, will there be an LXX text
>available soon, and if so, how much will it cost?

Kyle,

I don't know about Gramcord, but I created a LXX version for the Online
Bible Software. I finished it around Christmas so it should be on the CD by
now. You can purchase it from http://www.bythenumbers.com/ for about $40,
or you can search some of the ftp sites, the main engine and many of the
translation versions are freely distributed.

Because of the software limitations I had to edit the text, leaving out the
portions of the text (the apochrypha) that don't match the KJV numbering
system. The good news (and the main reason for creating it) is you can
match the English with the Hebrew, with the LXX in synchronized windows.
The original numbering system, when different, is shown in parenthesis
after the KJV number. You can search for any word or partial words or
phrases with wildcards. Alternate readings are also on disk and are
available by choosing a menu option. Unfortunately the text is not parsed
grammatically.

I am not a Big-Greek scholar, just a layman with a lot of years reading
Greek. It wasn't a work of scholarship (that was done by someone else),
just a lot of grunt work, reading and comparing the KJV to the LXX and
renumbering where required. It was a lot of fun and we were careful to do
the best job possible lining up the verses.

Let me know if you have any trouble finding the software or if you have any
questions.

Steve

Steve Long
steve@allegrographics.com