Re: Mark 6:2

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 08 1998 - 14:19:59 EDT

At 12:17 PM -0500 9/8/98, Theodore H. Mann wrote:
>On Tue, 08 Sep 1998 12:35:51 EDT dixonps@juno.com (Paul S. Dixon) writes:
>
>>This being the day Mark McGuire just may hit #62 in St. Louis (hey,
>Carl, is the town really in a tizzy, like the rest of America?),
>
>Didn't the Babe hit his 60 homers in a shorter season than the rest of
>these guys? Or does my memory fail me? If it doesn't, we would have to
>project how many more 4-baggers Ruth would likely have hit if he had the
>same length season as Maris and McGuire, in which case he would probably
>still be the King of Swat. Or did Maris and McGuire reach the 61 mark
>(so as to break Ruth's record) in the same number of games as Ruth?

You'd better believe that St. Louis is in a tizzy! You might just take a
look at the front of today's Post Dispatch:

        http://www.stlnet.com/

(the item about the city razing the arena is a late addition; beneath it is
the story and picture that completely covered page 1 of this morning's
printed edition that I picked up on my sidewalk at 6 a.m.: McGwire just
after he crossed home plate, lifting up his 10-year-old son, who was acting
bat-boy, high into the air.)

>What's the Greek term for baseball (So as to justify the above for
>inclusion in B-Greek)?

Sorry, I can't help you with that!

But as for Paul's original question,

At 11:35 AM -0500 9/8/98, Paul S. Dixon wrote:
>KAI hAI DUNAMEIS TOIAUTAI DIA TWN XEIRWN AUTOU
>GINOMENAI;
>
>my thoughts somehow are turned to Mark 6:2.
>
>Is the KAI to be taken epexegetically?

I hardly think I'd call this KAI epexegetical: this phrase seems to me to
add another befuddling fact about Jesus rather than to explain more fully
the sense of hH SOFIA hH DOQEISA TOUTWi.