Re: Majority Text

From: Trevor M Peterson (spedrson@juno.com)
Date: Fri Sep 11 1998 - 13:21:29 EDT

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998 11:52:54 EDT dixonps@juno.com (Paul S. Dixon) writes:

[snipped]

>>Generally speaking, those
>favoring
>>the Majority Text tend to be quite conservative theologically, while
>those
>>favoring the NA27/UBS4 text are less conservative or not at all
>>conservative.
>
>Carl, I'm not sure your last statement here is correct. Most of the
>conservative
>seminaries I am familiar with (at least a dozen, off the top of my
>head) endorse, for the most part, the eclectic text (NA or UBS).

While I tend to agree with Paul's point (I attend what I think is one of
the few exceptional schools in this regard), I think Carl's
generalization holds true in at least this light: Less conservative
schools are much less likely to even consider the MajT as possibly
superior. It's only the more conservative seminaries that might think
so, although most of them don't.

Trevor Peterson
Bible/Theology Department
Washington Bible College