RE: MAKARIOS vs. EULOGEW of God

From: Hultberg, Alan (alan_hultberg@peter.biola.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 14 1998 - 17:34:53 EDT

Dr. Krentz,

Thank you for your astute reply. I'm glad we tended to agree.

I'm sorry I haven't the text of your letter to which to respond (things get
deleted pretty quickly, and so occassionally inadvertantly, around here), and
that forces me to send this only to the list and to you personally as well,
but I would like to clarify a few points with which you took issue.

1) By "classical" Greek I don't mean (as I think you mistook) extra-biblical
*koine* but Greek of the classical period (say Homer to Alexander), chiefly
Attic in our sources from what I understand (I'm certainly no classicist). I,
and I'm sure I'm not alone, still maintain that the use of a term in
Herodotus, e.g., is less telling for NT lexicology than is the use of the
term in *koine*. I believe the original question to which I responded
specifically asked about classical Greek (which I understood to mean Greek
from this period) vs. the LXX; perhaps not the best way to frame question but
a good question nonetheless.

2) With regard to synchronic vs. diachronic analysis: lexicographers do indeed
utilize both, but when determining the meaning of a word *in a text* I still
contend that it is synchronic analysis and not diachronic with which we
primarily have to do. To repeat myself, one is usually not aware of the
history of a term when one uses it, nor does one usually expect another to
draw upon a word's history in order to be understood. It is current usage
that is most important.

3) Certainly the LXX is a variegated document, with many different
"translation" styles/techniques (not all in the LXX, of course, being
translation) and evidencing various commands of Greek. Certainly some of the
Greek compositions especially show the influence of the larger Greek culture.
I treated the text as a monolithic phenomenon, which it is not, and your
corrective is well-appreciated. My point, however, was especially in the
context of the original question (LXX vs. classics) and was intended to convey
that the LXX IMHO is the sub-text *par excellence* to the NT.

Would you agree or not? I'd very much appreciate your views.

Alan