Re: Re: 1 Cor 11:16 TOIAUTHN SUNHQEIAN

From: CEP7@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 15 1998 - 01:28:31 EDT

<<I'll take a swing. We might want to consider the meaning of TOIAUTHN.
The translations render it rather differently: "no other" (RSV) versus
"no such" (NKJV). I am at a loss. Is there any lexical basis
for taking TOIAUTHN as "no other," implying a different kind of practice,
instead of "no such," meaning none "of such a kind" (BAG)?

This normal meaning of TOIAUTHN is the apparent rationale for taking
TOIAUTHN SUNHQEIAN with the immediately preceding FILONEIKOS.
If anyone thinks or seems to be contentious, we have no such practice
(of being contentious), nor do the churches of God (Calvin and others).

Long drive deep to left. Going, going, gone. Fair or foul?

Paul Dixon>>

This leaves the question open about what they were being contentious about. It
seems that the contention is about women praying and prophesying with their
heads uncovered. It seems that Paul is arguing that this is not appropriate,
while some among the Corinthian community thought it might be since they
assumed that in Christ Jesus there is no male or female. Thus, TOIAUTHN
SUNHQEIAN OUK refers to the practice of women praying or prophesying with
uncovered head.

Charles Powell
DTS