Re: predicate adjectival participle

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Wed Sep 16 1998 - 13:10:56 EDT

Dick Roberts wrote;

> I am trying to understand the adjectival predicate participle. Are
>the >two participles in Jude 1 examples of this. In Wallace's grammar he
>states >that the predicate participle is rare. In the Jude 1 passage
>neither >participle has the article (unless they share the article with
>>KLHTOIS?). Thanks for any help.dick robertsdickr@efn.org

Looks like I beat Carl and Jonathan to this one.

In Jude 1 the two participles are adjectival modifying the KLHTOIS. They
are not predicative. Predicative participles (Burton, I think calls them
predicate adjective) are used with some form of a verb "to be," mostly
EIMI. Some divide them up into categories of those where the participle is
a true predicate adjective (periphrastic), adjective used like a noun, and
the adjective that retained its adjective force apart from the verb, eg.
Gal. 1:22 - HMHN DE AGNOOUMENOS TWi PROSWPWi, "I was unknown by face . . ."
The participle seems to be more focused on describing the subject than
completing the verb. None of them would stand in the attributive position
(used with the article).

Grace & Peace,

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion