Re: Ellipsis in 2Cor 2:6

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 18 1998 - 00:26:34 EDT

On Thu 17 Sep 98 (14:40:27), rleedy@bju.edu wrote:
> The half-dozen or so translations I've consulted all supply "is" as the
> copula in v. 6, then supply "ought" or something to that effect in
> rendering the infinitives in v. 7. This handling of the infinitives
> after hWSTE doesn't seem very natural to me. What seems a little better
> is to supply an imperative as the copula: "Let this punishment be
> sufficient...so that you forgive and comfort." Then the sense of
> obligation carries over to the infinitives from the imperatival nature
> of the main clause. Turner and Blass-DeBrunner indicate that the
> ellipsis of ESTW is rare, but Robertson seems to make more allowance
> for it, though he doesn't cite specific passages. Can anyone cite
> further exx. either of the ellipsis of ESTW or of the infinitive used
> to express obligation without any sort of helping verb such as DEI or
> OFEILW? I do know about the imperatival infinitive, but it seems
> strange to think of it as being introduced by hWSTE.

 Dear Randy,

 The ellipsis you refer to in 2 Cor 2:6 is similar to another in Matthew
 6:34, ARKETON THi hHMERAi hH KAKIA AUTHS "sufficient unto the day [is]
 the evil thereof". Here also an implied ESTW would be just as appropriate,
 IMHO.

 The infinitives in verse 7 are usually translated as if DEI or DEIN were
 inserted: "[it is necessary] to forgive and comfort". After verbs of
 saying the infinitive can often express not what /is/, but what /ought to
 be/. E.g. LEGONTES PERITEMNESQAI "saying, [you ought] to be circumcised"
 Acts 15:24 TR, where Claramontanus adds DEI. Also LEGWN MH PERITEMNEIN
 AUTOUS TA TEKNA "saying [they ought] not to circumcise their children"
 Acts 21:21.

 We assume that the offender, tactfully not named or identified here, is
 "that wicked person" of 1 Corinthians 5:13, TON PONHRON; but In 2 Cor 2:7
 he is just an anonymous TOIOUTOS. As soon as TOIOUTON has been punished
 enough to bring him to repentance, then he must be forgiven and comforted,
 and not drowned with sorrows MH PWS THi PERISSOTERAi LUPHi KATAPOQHi.

 hWSTE + infinitive is an adverbial particle indicating /purpose/, similar
 to the MH PWS + subjunctive of the next clause.

 CARIS KAI EIRHNH PLHQUNQEIH

 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF