Re: HELP: Paul and the greek word musterion

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 25 1998 - 11:12:25 EDT

<x-flowed>At 7:45 AM -0700 9/25/98, Messmers wrote:
>Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>
>> And the suggestion that
>> there's some linkage between MUSTHRION and MUQOS strikes me as very
>> strange;
>
>One of the things I noticed in reading John is the thematic difference between
>vertical and horizontal, between laying down and standing up, between
>active and
>passive posture: hISTHMI vs QEW. Theta is the horizontal letter
>[middle/passive]
>indicator. With the MU root, MUSTHRION denotes a standing in silence, MUQOS a
>laying down in silence, in a very broad and general way.

So this is a new theory of how Greek words are compounded? We ought to
understand MUSTHRION as compounded of MU and STH (from hISTHMI) and
similarly we ought to understand MUQOS as compounded of the same MU and
some root beginning with a Theta--you seem to be suggesting QEW, which
means "run," but I don't know whether you seriously meant that or not.

>A myth is a fable that tells a simple story whose very structure [deep
>structure?]
>is actually telling another story, but in silence. The simple story
>stands forth,
>the real one lies hidden within it. Thus the mystery that those who stand
>silently
>witness after their initiation into it. They tend to speak simply and in
>parables... How else to describe? They know both sides of it in a way
>that before
>they only knew one.
>
>I hope I'm not sounding too mysterious!!!

This, I think, is not so much mystery as pure witchcraft! Magic! Hocus
Pocus Dominocus!