John 5:29

From: John M. Sweigart (jsweiger@cswnet.com)
Date: Wed Sep 30 1998 - 08:11:32 EDT

Fellow list members:
I've been looking carefully at John 5:29. Several questions present
themselves. One is grammatical. How should we understand the genitives
"of life" and "of judgment/condemnation"? Two are lexical. Is there
any justification for translating PHAULA as "evil" which is done in the
NASV? Is there any justification for translating KRISIS as
"judgment/condemnation"? In LSJ this translation seems to be a very
minor usage. One is theological (perhaps outside the bounds of the
list--if so reply off list). Are two groups of believers in view or
must we conclude that the second group are unbelievers. The second view
is problematical for me due to the parallel with 2 Cor. 5:10 in the use
of PHAULA. Any comments would be helpful.