Re: Divine name in NT

From: Wes Williams (wes.williams@echostar.com)
Date: Wed Sep 30 1998 - 22:57:16 EDT

On 09/30/98, "Jonathan Robie <jonathan@texcel.no>" wrote:
> [...]

<snip for sake of brevity>

> "Jehovah" is this: the name is only restored when at least one of the
> Hebrew translations made between 1500 and the current century translates it
> as YHWH. Since there are 15 or so to choose from, this gives the translator
> a fair degree of freedom, and since these are all relatively recent
> translations, none of these "manuscripts" are really any kind of evidence.
>
> IMHO, a translation that claims to be a very literal translation should
> simply translate the text, perhaps using footnotes if the translator feels
> that the text being translated differs from the original. Since we have
> absolutely no examples of Greek texts of the NT that include the
> Tetragrammeton, a literal translation that is based on the Greek text
> should not translate KURIOS as "Jehovah". Naturally, there are also works

<snip>

> Jonathan

Dear Jonathan,

I think you reflect sound argumentation given the facts you present. There
is more that I would like to contribute to your analysis regarding
Professor Howard's arguments. This may clarify how the Hebrew versions of
the NT have a bearing on the original Greek text. To condense the points
and leave textual criticism out, it will prove beneficial to consult the