Isaiah 45:19

From: Kevin L. Barney (klbarney@sprynet.com)
Date: Sun Sep 06 1998 - 16:53:49 EDT

Ben:

I would suggest one small correction to your interpretation of the Rahlfs critical note to Isaiah 45:19. Capital C does refer to Codex Ephraemi when it is not italicized, but when italicized, as here, it refers to something identified as "recensio in Catena magna in prophetas inventa" [whatever that is]. A similar problem exists with the letter L; when not italicized it refers to "Purpureus Vindobonensis," but when italicized it refers to the Lucian recension. Personally, I think the editors should have distinguished these texts in some way other than italic type, which is obviously very confusing.

I agree that it is odd the editors nowhere explain the significance of the superscripted 0 following the 2. I noticed the same siglum (a 2 immediately followed by a superscripted 0) on the facing page, in the apparatus note for Isaiah 45:5 with respect to QEOS. It must somehow refer to repetition of the word, as you took it, but it is frustrating when editors do not give you all of the information you need to interpret the apparatus (which by its nature is usually cryptic enough as it is).

By the way, if anyone is still reading this, how do I do away with those annoying little equal signs [=] at the end of each line of my post as it appears in the digest? I'm not much of a computer jock. I think it has something to do with MIME format, whatever that is. I use Microsoft Outlook, if that makes a difference. This might be one for Jon.

Kevin L. Barney
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
klbarney@sprynet.com

[Ben's message is quoted in part below]

The _Septuaginta_ (Alfred Rahlfs, 1979 ed.) contains the repetition in the
text with the following note in the apparatus:

19 EGW EIMI 2o > ScC

The figure after the 2 is raised, which I don't understand. I interpret
the note to mean "the repetition of EGW EIMI is omitted by the Sinaiticus
corrector and in Codex Ephraemi."
Benjamin Raymond
senior, Harding University School of Biblical Studies
braymond@ipa.net
HU Box 11871, 900 E Center
Searcy, AR 72149-0001
501-279-4820