Re: Accordance Error

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Tue Oct 06 1998 - 00:48:23 EDT

Bill Combs wrote:
>Carl Conrad wrote
>>
>>Actually it reads APWLLUNTO, doesn't it (imperfect middle, not imperative
>>active)? I don't really see what the problem is here: the alternatives are
>>active APOLLUMI and middle APOLLUMAI. I don't think there's a distinct
>>passive form of the verb, even if the middle voice is understood in a
>>passive sense. The middle really means "go to ruin," "go to waste," Lat.
>>PEREO.
>
>Yes, it is APWLLUNTO. I should proofread more carefully. But I guess I am
>still confused on how Accordance parses things. I thought they parsed forms
>that could be middle or passage in form according to usage, and this seems
>to be a clear passive usage. I notice that Bill Mounce's Analytical Lexicon
>(Zondervan), p. 96, calls this a passive.

Bill:

Technically, Accordance (or Bible Companion/GRAMCORD for Windows) doesn't
parse at all...James Boyer did, and now I do... (-:

As to why the GRAMCORD parsing reads middle at 1Cor 10:9 is that we/I follow
BAGD as our standard (and if I REALLY disagree, I put it in as an alternate).
BAGD lists only Act and Mid for APOLLUMI, and lists this passage under the
middle. As to why that's true, what Carl said (in this case and before on
voice in previous posts) is right on the money, in my opinion. One of the
ways that BAGD, et.al., determines if a verb is middle only (or passive
only, or middle only deponent, or passive only deponent) is to look and
see what forms the verb occurs in when its in the Aorist/Future (6th
Prin Part), since that's the only place one can see both forms. I haven't
personally chased this one down, but it looks like, acc. to BAGD, this
verb only occurs in the Aor Mid and Fut Mid.

XAIREIN...

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com