[Fwd: What to Read Next?]

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@ameritech.net)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 11:46:28 EDT

This didn't seem to get through the first time (it hasn't shown up in my
mailbox yet, an hour after posting), so I'm sending it again. Apologies
for the duplication if turns up twice.

Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 07:32:22 -0700
From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@ameritech.net>
To: vince-s@juno.com
CC: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: What to Read Next?

vince-s@juno.com wrote: > > Having read Carson's "Exegetical Fallacies" -and taken its admonitions to > heart-, I have been trying to determine how to perform a proper 'Word > Strudy'. I am somewhat uncomfortable with the term, being that many word > study methods have propagated various errors. I continue my reading with > Louw's "Semantics...", but its emphasis is similar to Carson's, and I > don't feel that I'm gaining a method for approaching the text at the word > level. > > Maybe the most sound method is just to use a lexicon! Any advice on > where to turn would be appreciated. > > My second concern involves Genre. Both Porter's "Handbook to > Exegesis..." and Guthrie/Duvall's "Biblical Greek Exegesis" make the > claim that understanding Genre is imperative to proper exegesis; however, > neither book specifies exactly HOW genre should guide exegesis. Is there > a handbook out there that clearly spells out the proper > considerations/guidelines of each genre for interpretation?

Vincent You might find David Aune's _The New Testament in Its Literary Environment_ helpful (it's one of the many useful volumes in the Library of Early Christianity Series, ed. by Wayne Meeks. Also, though it does not deal with genre as such, you will also find James Bailey's and Lyle Vander Broek's _Literary Forms in the New Testament: A Handbook_ useful in that after the authors discuss various literary forms they specifically go on to note something about "the value for Interpretation" that a knowledge of that form brings to exegesis.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson -- Jeffrey B. Gibson 7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A Chicago, Illinois 60626 e-mail jgibson000@ameritech.net