Re: What to Read Next?

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 02:49:48 EDT

vince-s@juno.com wrote:

> Having read Carson's "Exegetical Fallacies" -and taken its admonitions to
> heart-, I have been trying to determine how to perform a proper 'Word
> Strudy'. I am somewhat uncomfortable with the term, being that many word
> study methods have propagated various errors. I continue my reading with
> Louw's "Semantics...", but its emphasis is similar to Carson's, and I
> don't feel that I'm gaining a method for approaching the text at the word
> level.

Vince,

Back in 1990-91 I read everything I could get my hands on regarding lexical
semantics. One book now stands at the top of my personal list on this subject:
Moises Silva, Biblical Words and their Meaning: An Introduction to Lexical
Semantics, Zondervan 1983, revised ed. 1994. This is a work you should own
since you will want to read it several times to absorb the contents
thoroughly.

The runner up, is a book that describes the theory behind the famous Semantic
Domain Lexicon: J. P. Louw and E. A. Nida, Lexical Semantics of New Testament
Greek, Scholars Press, 1992.

If you want to see how all the elements of exegesis are put together using a
test case then read: Silva, Moises, Explorations in Exegetical Method:
Galatians as a Test Case, Baker, 1996.

A note of caution:

After reading all of this and other works you will probably still need to
develop your own method of exegesis. I have tried numerous times in vain to
follow the patterns described by text books on exegesis, for example the
famous book by Gordon Fee. I have always failed in these attempts. I think
these books are of great value for laying down guidelines but like the Mosaic
Law, one usually ends up breaking most of the rules most of the time.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point