Re: "to call upon the name of ..."

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 08:35:54 EDT

At 10:34 AM 10/9/98 -0700, you wrote:
>B-Greeks,
>
>Recently I've had occasion to ponder the meaning of the phrase "to call
>upon the name of ..." which is usually rendered in the LXX and GNT with
>some form of EPIKALEW. I had always thought, rather uncritically I
>admit, that the pharse more or less meant something like "to call out to
>X", especially for aid. But for a variety of reasons it now seems to me
>that, at least in Acts 9:14 and in Rom. 10:12, 14, if not also in Gen.
>4:26, the phrase actually means something like "to be or remain faithful
>to X". Does this perception have any validity. Is it the case in the LXX
>and GNT or for that matter in Koine in general, that "calling upon *the
>name of* someone" is thought to be an activity distinct from "calling
>upon/crying out to" someone"? It seems that, if so, such a distinction
>has large ramifications for exegesis.
>
>Yours,
>
>Jeffrey Gibson

Jeff-

I think the phrase "call upon..." is simply a technical term for cultic
prayer. It designates the appropriate attitude- posture- and words used in
prayer at the worship center. It can, therefore- in an extended sense-
describe an attitude of awe- as that too is part of corporate worship.

Best,

Jim