Re: septuagint - how many times agape (english) appears

From: vince-s@juno.com
Date: Tue Oct 13 1998 - 01:26:28 EDT

Bob,

Hatch and Redpath's Concordance to the Septuagint is available at an
incredible discount through Christian Book Distributors (I think that
their web site is www.christianbooks.com, but I'm not sure). It includes
a Hebrew/Aramaic index to view how various Hebrew words are rendered into
Greek.

According to Liddell/Scott, AGAPH as a noun first appears in the LXX, and
seems to be most used in Jewish and Christian literature (both canonical
and non-canonical). Outside of Judeo-Christian literature, the earliest
citation of AGAPH in Liddell/Scott is in a second century BC papyrus
fragment. AGAPHSIS (affection) is cited as early as the fourth century
BC, and AGAPAW (the verb form) is even used once in Homer (eight century
BC).

God Bless,
Vince Setterholm