Check your settings: Double copies of postings

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 14 1998 - 08:45:10 EDT

At 2:17 PM -0500 10/13/98, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>I've been advised by Steve Brailsford who receives B-Greek via the digest,
>that he's been receiving two copies of the digest quite regularly. Since
>his name appears only once on the subscriber list, I can't figure how this
>is happening, but I'd like to ascertain whether other subscribers to the
>digest format are also getting two copies of it daily.
>
>PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND DIRECTLY ON-LIST! There's no need to clutter the list
>with this sort of stuff. SEND RESPONSES DIRECTLY TO ME:
>
> Carl W. Conrad
> <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>

I've had several responses already to this query and I intend to dump the
whole thing in Jonathan's lap when he returns from Shangri-La (can you hear
me out there in Shangri-La, Jonathan?). In the meantime, it occurs to me
one possible source of the double deliveries of Digests may be what I know
to be a source of double deliveries of individual posts sent to B-Greek:
since the headers on B-Greek messages distributed to list-members show
B-Greek both as "sender" and as "cc," anyone whose mail program is set to
"reply to all" who replies to these messages will be sending two copies of
the message to B-Greek. Just possibly those who respond to replies that
come from the Digest may be triggering a double-sending of the digest also.
I don't know whether this is really the explanation or not, but I have the
impression that the problem is caused by mail settings in list-members'
mailer programs and/or mail servers rather than by the Lyris software at
Sunsite. This is just a stab-in-the-dark guess, but I think everybody who
has noted that their own posts result in duplicate list copies might do
well to check the settings in his/her own mailer program. I use Eudora Pro
and I have my "reply" setting currently marked thus:

        "Reply to all by default (use option key for sender only)
        "When replying to all, put original To: recipients in Cc: field,
not To:
                field
        "Copy original's priority to reply."

Some kind list member called my attention to the fact that two copies of my
own posts were going out to the list; after that I changed my settings to
the above and seem to have gotten rid of that problem.

Again, I repeat (whenever I repeat, I always do it again!): this is just a
guess about a solution to the problem, by no means a definitive solution.
You just might do well, however, to check your mailer's settings if you
think that might be contributing to the problem.

Carl W. Conrad
Co-Chair, B-Greek List