Re: Heb 4:7 & Psa 95:7-8

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@ameritech.net)
Date: Tue Oct 20 1998 - 15:40:04 EDT

Paul S. Dixon wrote:

> The author of Hebrews quotes quite a bit from the LXX.
> Heb 4:7, according to the UBS and the NA texts, is a
> quote from Psalm 95:7-8. Yet, Rahlf's LXX has it at
> Psalm 94:7-8. I assume this is not a typo, since both
> NT Greek texts have the same reference.

I believe that UBS and NA are giving the enumeration of the Paslm
according to the MT. The LXX enumeration of the Psalms is skewed from
that of the MT because of a difference in opinion over where an certain
Pss begin and end. Ps. 9 and 10 as well as 114 and 115 (MT) appear as
single Pss in the LXX and PS 116 is split into two Pss. That's why
you'll often see a reference set out as Ps. 78 (77 LXX):2.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson