Re: Conditionals (2d class)

From: Rodney J. Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 12:49:50 EDT

>This is simply a counterfactual condition; it's quite common in Classical
>Attic Greek: its most common forms are (a) present counterfactual: EI +

That's not quite what I was getting at. The construction that you describe
is common enough. My question related to the reality of the protasis
(perhaps I was not clear on that). 2d class conditions (as I am accustomed
to call them) normally present a protasis that is contrary to fact
(counterfactual)--that is, the speaker assumes that the protasis is false.
In the NT there are several exs. in which the speaker was wrong (i.e., the
protasis was, in fact, true; e.g., Lk. 7:39).

What I am looking for is an instance (if one exists), in which the speaker
knows the situation described by the protasis to be TRUE, but uses the 2d
class condition to present it as FALSE for purposes of argument. This is
what Wallace says is not found in the NT, but implies is attested in
extra-biblical literature.

Thanks,

Rod

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Dept. of NT P.O. Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
The *Resources for NT Study* page is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm