Re: meaning of "paradeisos" in the New Testament

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Sat Oct 24 1998 - 17:33:53 EDT

At 07:38 PM 10/24/98 +0000, you wrote:
> Is the above word ever translated as the "grave?" I know a fellow who
claims such, but I know of no scholarly work that would translate
"paradeisos" as the grave. Any comments appreciated. Thank you, Bob Marden
>---

Bob,

I have never heard anyone suggest such a thing.
I have in front of me TDNT (which, contrary to the opinion of some- a la
Barr- is still the most remarkable work of scholarship of this century)...

The word is a loan from Persian meaning "an enclosure, a park, an enclosed
garden". This article- written by Joachim Jeremias (we all need to take our
hats of to this one!!!!), spans pages 765-773.

Take a look. In a very cursory overlook I cannot find any such notion as the
one presented above (i.e.- paradise = grave). I suspect that someone has
simply heard something somewhere (on the radio or TBN perhaps ???) and taken
it as so. It isnt.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD