Re: Kittel and Co.

From: Bart Ehrman (behrman@email.unc.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 24 1998 - 17:18:15 EDT

devoted to the social history of German biblical scholarship at the SBL
(S21; Sat. 1:00-3:30), with Wayne Meeks reading a paper on Gerhard Kittel
and Susannah Heschel on NT Scholarship on the "Aryan Jesus" during the
Third Reich. This is the subject of Heschel's current research, which
will result in a monograph on this institute of "German Christians"
(forget their exact title), that was headed by W. Grundmann of TWNT fame,
an explicitly anti-semitic group of NT scholars whose archives she
discovered in East Berlin after the wall came down.

-- Bart Ehrman
   University of North Carolina at CHapel Hill