Heraclitus' Fragments and other online goodies (was Re: hO LOGOS)

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 29 1998 - 09:19:28 EST

<x-flowed>At 7:42 PM -0600 10/29/98, dd-1@juno.com wrote:
>Edgar, Denny Diehl here
>
>>>I believe the first philosophical use of the term LOGOS was in the
>>mid sixth-century BC by Heraclitus who lived in Ephesus. He saw the
>>world as an ever-changing phenomenon, yet as much as it was
>>continually changing, the more it remained the same. What kept the
>>world orderly and from complete chaos, he described as the
>>LOGOS (reason) of God.<
>>
>>With all respect, Denny, I don't know if I would say that Heraclitus
>>described hO LOGOS as "the LOGOS (reason) of God." Looking at the
>>Heraclitean fragments makes me inclined to seriously doubt such an
>>interpretation of the Ephesian philosopher.
>
>That could very well be. It has been years since I studied the
>pre-Socratic,
>and I looked for my paper on him and can't find it. However, I remember
>an illustration concerning a river which was constantly changing, which
>change should bring chaos, however the cosmos is anything but chaotic.
>I remember the philosopher ascribing that to LOGOS. If you have his
>fragmentary writings in electronic form, would it be possible for you to
>post it, or portions of it for our consideration?

"You can't step into the same river twice." The surviving fragments of hO
SKOTWDHS may be read in John Burnet's translation of the fragments from
Diels-Kranz, Fragmente der Vorsokratiker at:

http://plato.evansville.edu/public/burnet/ch3a.htm

In doing a quick little search for a web version of Heraclitus, I came upon
this site which is worth calling attention of the list to:

EAWC Electronic Text Index: http://eawc.evansville.edu/texts/grpage.htm

The University of Louisville is also the locus of the rich archive of
materials called "Early Church On Line Initiative," which is neatly
acronymed as the French word for "school," ECOLE:

        http://cedar.evansville.edu/~ecoleweb/

and it also has one of the most useful of tools for doing an almost
instantaneous search of internet web sites concerned with antiquity, Argos,
which will find information on almost anythng in antiquity (if it exists on
the net) at lightning speed:

        http://argos.evansville.edu/