Re: Chiasm in English

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Sat Nov 07 1998 - 13:58:27 EST

At 10:15 AM 11/7/98 -0800, dalmatia@eburg.com wrote:

>I have this feeling that the chiasm is a/the defining thought
>structure of the Greek language, that units of thought are
>chiastically structured, and indeed that compositions, letters,
>gospels, hymns, poetry and plays all carry this same structuring,
>which we refer to as 'bookending' and 'hinging' and 'mirror imaging'
>of ideas in the development of the text.

I have a book called "The Shape of Biblical Language" that is completely
dedicated to Chiasmus; chapter 8 is a study of a syndicated column in the
Boston Globe entitled "Medical Research Ignores Women". The article is
neither religious, written in Greek, nor ancient.

To test your theory, you would have to come up with an objective way of
comparing the level of chiasmus in various languages. Is Chiasm more
central in certain languages, or certain forms of literature, or for
certain kinds of themes? I don't know.

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research