Re: PRWTOTOKOS: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND MAYBE TOO MUCH

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@WELLESLEY.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 09 1998 - 17:49:56 EST

Colleagues:

I have been traveling, and out of the loop for a few days; I return to an
unbelievable mass of discussions of Col. 1:15 and PRWTOTOKOS, with
endless rephrasing of the same points, much scarcely-concealed theological
baggage on all sides, and no end in sight.

Carl has clearly asked that the thread be shut down. NOW. And yet it goes
on.

I not only agree with Carl, I'll put it more strongly:

STOP! STOP! STOP! No more!

The discourse has been quite civil; incivility is not the problem this time
(thanks be to haShem!). But there is nothing new being said, and it is
eating up great bandwidth in going nowhere.

Edward Hobbs
CoChair (with Carl), B-Greek

------------Carl wrote, in part------->>>>>>>>.

Subj: RE: PRWTOTOKOS: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND MAYBE TOO MUCH

I frankly think that we have far overstepped the boundaries here into
hermeneutics; I don't speak for anyone else, but I am not accustomed to
taking this language in a "matter-of-fact sense." I think, however, that we
are now far-removed from what the grammar of the passage can tell us and we
are into the matter of how we understand the word meanings. I doubt
seriously whether an understanding of the Greek can help us with this; it's
a matter of the hermeneutical presuppositions that we bring to bear upon
the text. And I don't think that's a matter we should get any further into.

I think it has been almost wholly theological since its inception; I think
that the Greek has only been discussed insofar as it seems to support one
or another theological stance.

Quite frankly, I think that point has been reached, and actually reached
some time ago, perhaps even EN ARCHi, so far as this thread is concerned.
Yes, it has been civil--but it has become increasingly repetitive, without,
so far as I can discern, new points being brought to bear but rather with
old points being reformulated in slightly different phrasing.