Re: Word study suggestion

From: Randy LEEDY (Rleedy@bju.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 09 1998 - 16:13:47 EST

A private post prompts me to add one clarification to my word-study
suggestion, which is that my model is intended as a starting point,
not as a fully adequate accounting for how words are used.
Sophistications to be introduced include the facts that a single word
can respresent numerous ideas and that many ideas can be represented
by more than one word. Further, some ideas can only be represented by
expressions involving several words rather than a single word. Again,
"This is the word used when one is talking about _______" is intended
to serve only as a starting point, to help students grasp the
conventionality of word meanings and the importance of context.

In love to God and neighbor,
Randy Leedy
Bob Jones University
Greenville, SC