Re: Word study suggestion

From: Daniel E. Buck (dbuck@briercrest.ca)
Date: Tue Nov 10 1998 - 06:53:27 EST

At 14:34 09/11/98 -0500, Randy wrote:

> My new idea (new to me, at least) is that instead of getting my students to
>fill in the blank after the expression "This word MEANS ________," to
>get them to fill in the blank after "This is the word one uses WHEN
>TALKING ABOUT _________."

Your suggestion points the student in a very helpful direction. I have used
a similar concept in asking students to ask "What does this word express,
all possibilities and then in this context?"

The one suggestion I would have for your question is if it would be better
to ask "this is one of the words one may use WHEN TALKING ABOUT _____." The
slight change reflects the "semantic domain" approach of Louw and Nida's
lexical arrangement.

What do you think?

Daniel E. Buck
Assistant Professor, Biblical Studies