RE: KTISIS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 11 1998 - 20:32:35 EST

At 7:13 PM -0600 11/11/98, Lemuel G. Abarte wrote:
>Carl,
>
>This is interesting and I did notice this in BAGD. But looking at this, I
>seem to notice that the cosmological viewpoint in the lexicon using the
>word "creation" has a Christian presupposition. Don't you think Paul
>argued from a technical perspective?
>
>Would you think this will clarify the meaning of PRWTOTOKOS PASHS KTISEWS
>in Colossians 1:15? It seems that the previous thread was barking at the
>wrong tree.

Judging from the way that Philo has the whole analogy constructed in DE
OPIFICIO MUNDI, I rather suspect that Christianity takes it from
Hellenistic (and Greek-speaking) Judaism. Although I haven't the evidence
to prove it, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes straight from Alexandrian
Judaism--or perhaps it is common goods of Diaspora Greek-speaking Judaism.
Why not?