meaning of ALLA in Matt. 6:14

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@ameritech.net)
Date: Sun Nov 15 1998 - 18:10:54 EST

As SBL approaches and it gets to be time for me to deliver my LP paper
to the Q section, I've been doing a little thinking on what ALLA in
Matthew's ALLA RhUSAI jHMAS APO TOU PONHROU means. Most commentators
take it as adversative, making the objective of the petition that
follows ALLA somethinh which stands in contrast with the objective of
Matt. 6:13a (whatever that might be).

But (adversative ALLA!) I just noted in BDF that in addition to the
meaning "but", ALLA was also used with the sense of "indeed". So I'm
wondering what the argumenst might be for seeing that ALLA cannot have
this second meaning -- or conversely, that it does mean "indeed". One
bit of evidence that it has the latter sense appears in Matt.
10:22-31(par. 12:6,7 -- hey! a Q text), the usual translation of which
is:

Are not two sparrows sold for two pennies?
And not one of them will fall to the ground without
    God's will.
But (ALLA) even the hairs of you head are numbered.
Fear not;
You are of more value than many sparrows.

Here, it seems to me, ALLA does indeed have the sense of "indeed".

Comments please.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

--