John 14:1 TARASSESQW

From: dalmatia@eburg.com
Date: Thu Nov 19 1998 - 10:38:19 EST

I just returned home from Mpls where this verse was used at a funeral
service, and because this sentence is greatly comforting to me, I took
another look at it.

MH TARASSESQW UMWN H KARDIA.

The KJV gives it "Let not your heart be troubled", and I have always
rendered it "Not be troubling of you the heart", for this keeps hUMWN
in its syntactic center between the verb and the subject, and conjoins
MH with TARASSESQW, while keeping the present tense sense of the verb.

I understand this verb to parse as a 3rd person present tense
middle-passive imperative of TARASSW, with MH as a kind of conditional
negation, where the entire sentence forms a 'center/middle bridge'
between the preceeding prediction of Peter's thrice denial and the
'believing' chiasm that follows.

The tricky part for me, that has me wallering a tad, is the Greek
understanding of a 3rd person mid/pass imperative. Is this a middle?
Or is it a passive? Or a mixture of some kind? And why MH, when the
following sentence lacks a GAR, or an EI. How does the 'conditional'
negation MH work with this? Is this one of those Johannine sentences
that makes perfect sense without much grammatical grip?

Thank-you in advance...

George

Lisa Messmer..................ICQ# 5666415
George Blaisdell        dalmatia@eburg.com

Have you seen Dulcie? Look for her Heart! http://www.eburg.com/~dalmatia/dulcie.html

Last Chance for Animals...Fight Pet Theft! http://www.lcanimal.org