Re: hO GEGONEN in John 1:

From: Tom Belt (virginia@destination.com.lb)
Date: Fri Nov 20 1998 - 13:57:03 EST

Friends-

I've just recently joined the list. Wish me luck.

Thought I would pass on a couple of comments I ran across re: hO GEGONEN in
Jn. 1:3. The first is from H.A.W. Meyer (his commentary on John), who argues
for placing the words with what precedes, the reason being:

"not in the ambiguity of ZOEI, which cannot surprise us in John, but in
this, that the perfect GEGONEN, as implying continuance, would have
logically required ESTI instead of hEIN after ZOEI; to hEIN not GEGONEN, but
EGENETO, would have been appropriate, so that the sense would have been:
'what came into existence had in Him its ground or source of life.'"

Don Carson (John, Eerdmans) interestingly argues:

"The change from 'were made' to 'has been made' is then then change in
reference from the act of creation to the state of creation. Even so, the
latter is a strange form of expression. It may be better to render the
Greek, 'All things were made by him, and what was made (taking hO GEGONEN as
the subject of the second clause) was in no way (taking OUDEN adverbially)
made without him.'"

Blessings,
Tom Belt
Evangelical Assemblies of God of Lebanon
Beirut, Lebanon
virginia@destination.com.lb