RE: Searchng for an agenda-neutral Bible

From: Kelley Mata (kmata@westernseminary.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 24 1998 - 20:38:55 EST

I would agree that the third person masculine singular is not totally
archaic; Dr. Grudem in his recent article in the ETS Journal noted where
many newspapers and magazines still used this form generically. However,
this usage seems to be waning in English.

Also, I do not think that any of the proponents for inclusive language (not
gender neutral language) would deny that there are social issues that are
effecting modern English usage. Clearly there are.

However, the question that is raised is a translation issue. Is the
masculine singular the best and most accurate translation into English
vernacular? Also, gender inclusion seeks only to be more specific and
translate passages that are meant to be inclusive, using a generic masculine
which was understood to be inclusive by the readers, into the clearest and
most accurate idiom in the present vernacular.

So, though one has the opinion that the masculine third singular is adequate
for generic or inclusive translation today, does not necessitate that we
accuse those who disagree as caving in to political pressure (as an earlier
post indicated).

M. Kelley Mata