Re: Fwd: Re. The aorist!

From: Larry Swain (swainl@calcite.rocky.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 23 1998 - 15:39:11 EST

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Paul F. Evans wrote:

> Larry,
>
> What does he mean by that?
>
> You wrote:
>
> >But I like Smyth's "simple attainment" as the description for what the
> >Aorist does.

I don't have it in hand at the moment, but simple attainment I think means
that Aorist expresses mere event occurring in the past without the nuance
that other tenses such as Perfect and Pluperfect carry with them. In that
sense the aorist is "perfect": that is to say complete.

Hope that didn't cloud the issue and definition even more!

Larry Swain