Direct / Indirect Speech

From: heyns (heyns@iafrica.com)
Date: Tue Nov 24 1998 - 12:26:35 EST

Hi again

> >Hi my name is Juan.
> >I'm quite new to this list. I'm still a very small little greek. I hope
> >that some of my questions will at least be of some use.
> >Well, here goes.
>
> Hello Juan! I am no one, but I wlecome you to our happy cyber family of
> Greek officianados.
>

> >I was reading a book when I to my surprise noticed that the author said
> >that in mattew 24:5 meant to say:
> >
> >For many shall come in my name, saying, I(Jesus) am Christ; and shall
> >decieve many.
> >POLLOI GAR ELEUSONTAI EPI TW ONOMATI MOU LEGONTES EGO EIMI O CRISTOS KAI
> >POLLOUS PLANHSOUSIN
> >[mattew 24:5]
> >
> >I should emphasize that as I now understand it Jesus meant many will
come
> >and testify that Jesus is the Christ but will decieve many. Since Jesus
is
> >speaking the word EGO refers to him(Jesus).
> >Please verify this or correct me.
>
> I think that a more accurate reading of the text would be something like:
> "many will come and say 'Its me, the messiah"- DON't you believe
them....."
> etc. Jesus here tells his disciples that many "false" messiah's will
come
> and they should not fall for it. I think it is inaccurate to say that
Jesus
> is describing himself as as somehow deceive many. This goes against the
> entire tenor of the Gospel of Mt.

Don't misunderstand me I wasn't saying that many will be decieved by Christ
but by people who testify that Jesus is the Christ.
Please bear with me. I am still be ignorant of many of the greek grammar.

I would like to know if there is a way in greek to indicate "direct
speech"(as in english) in greek.
The punctuation in english is quite important.
Take for instance these two sentences.

1. Many will come and say I am the Christ and decieve many.
2. Many will come and say: "I am the Christ"; and decieve many.

The first sentence could imply that many will testify that Jesus is the
Christ(and rightly so) but
still decieve people by other teachings that they did not recieve from him.
(The author of the book I was reading made this statment, and I do believe
there is people who
call Jesus the Christ and are teaching false doctrine. But I would like to
determine if that is what
was implied by this part of the gospel.)
But the second sentence without doubt says that these people will say that
they are the christ.

My greek text doesn't have any punctuation so I don't know what to make of
it. If the punctuation
matters at all??

Juan Heyns