Re: EK in James 1:13

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Nov 29 1998 - 12:46:46 EST

Paul Zellmer quoted:

> clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>
> > This will NOT solve all of your problems with this passage, I am sure.

Paul,

What I meant by the above statement is that in James 3:13 the semantics of

DEIXATW EK THS KALHS ANASTROFHS TA ERGA AUTOU EN PRAUTHTI SOFIAS

is still difficult after you have diagrammed the syntax. TA ERGA sounds
strange as an object of DEIXATW. And since the NIV translators didn't want to
have their rendering sound strange they went "Dynamic" on us here. I noticed
that some more literal translations (RSV, ASV) left the difficulty in tact.

The syntax of this clause is similar to James 2:18:

DEIXW EK TWN ERGWN MOU THN PISTIN

But the sense of James 2:18 is much easier to sort out than the sense of
DEIXATW . . . TA ERGA. After some further reflection on your question I
realized that, your task being translation, the understanding of the syntax
alone was not going to make your problem go away.

Those of us who don't translate for a living tend to forget all the serious
difficulties that are encountered in that activity.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point