Re: The Duty to Translate: Was: Re: Notitia Dignitatum

From: Edgar Krentz (ekrentz@lstc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 02 1998 - 03:42:16 EST

I think that I agree with Carl Conrad on this discussion--though I think
that there are curious fashions and trends in translations. Recent interest
in the Greek novel has spawned a series of books on them plus new
translations of many edited by Reardon and in the LCL.

Like everyone else, I have one or two items that I wish were Englished:

One is Iamblichus, Theologoumena Arithmeticae, which I may put my hand to
in retirement.

My son recently did much of the translation of Polyaenus, STRATEGEMATA; the
last translation was in the 1700s! This work on military tactics will not
excite many on this list, but is useful for military historians. And some
of its language can be found in Paul!

I was delighted recently to see the Oxford University Press translation of
some of Philodemus' writings (On poetry, for one). And I was delighted with
the translation of Maximus Tyrius and the two new editions of the Greek
text, one a Teubner.

But I agree that the market for such translations, outside of libraries, is
very small.

Like beauty, the need for translations of a particular text is "in the eye
of the beholder."

Edgar Krentz
Acting Dean, Fall Quarter 1998
Professor of New Testament Emeritus