Learning German

From: Edgar Krentz (ekrentz@lstc.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 04 1998 - 07:11:53 EST

I had not realized what a flurry of interest my comment about German would
cause. I only want to add one item, thanks to Jeff Gibson.

One of the best ways to learn German is to attend a Goethe Institute, the
program designed to teach German to non-Germans. The best way to do this is
to do it in Germany; but that is very expensive.

However, under the aegis of German consulates, there are Goethe Institute
courses taught in many major cities. I know there are such courses here in
Chicago. I recommend to our students who hope to study in Germany to take
them.

The teachers are native Germans. The only language spoken in the classroom
is German. I recommend that you check it out, if you live in a major city.
Check the yellow pages under consulates, call and ask about it.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
There was no intention on my part to put down anyone who does not know
German. I meant to say that the more languages one can use the better. I
read and speak American English and German, read French, Italian, Latin,
and modern Katharevousa Greek, can struggle through Dutch with the aid of a
lexicon--and wish I knew Spanish.

I recall the day I proposed my dissertation topic to Prof. Phillip DeLacy.
He smiled, handed me a book by Mario del Pra, and said, "I guess you will
have to learn Italian. My son needed articles in Russian for his
dissertation in Greek history--and fortunately had a friend who was a
Russian major.

But clearly, the most important language for interpreting the NY is Greek.
It's only that the more, the merrier--without putting anyone else down.

This will be my last post on this topic. Utinam sit sic omnibus.

Ed Krentz

Edgar Krentz
Acting Dean, Fall Quarter 1998
Professor of New Testament Emeritus